News: RantFUJAK is open for business...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia day long weekend  (Read 4631 times)
JD
YBOD Pilot
Global Moderator
A God (big g) in the Fujak world

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2009, 09:08:44 PM »

Well, another Aussie day was spent down the mount diving, drinking, cooking BBQ's and celebrating Chinese New Year! I am starting this thread and encourage everyone to contribute a little bit to the whole picture.

Myself. Off to a bad start with work taking a priority and not heading down on Friday night, but having to head down Saturday, which meant missing out on a day in Tank. We did make it down by about 5, so just in time to sink a few Corona's and head off to Chinese New Year at a local restaurant (how Aussie are we!).
Sunday off to an early start after spending too long the night before trying to work out how to make a Dive Rite Transplate harness attach to my backplate, although the special cokes may have slowed us down a little! At Kilsbys the new configuration went together quite well, and after fixing a couple of things with some cable ties and cave line, Rob and I went in for a lovely swim around the 57m mark. A bit over an hour later, I came up, but Rob was still on deco, his Hammerheads deciding he had run out of stack. Apart from this, one of those pesky AI O2 cells he insists on using packed up, so his day was over. After some intense discussions over a sandwich, nobody actually knew what the 'stack' Rob had run out of was, although we did know from the handsets he had run out. Even the helpfull guys at Bunnings were unsure of where they kept the stocks of Hammerhead stack, so at this stage we were unable to procure any more stack for Rob.
Second dive was pretty uneventful, nice swim down to about 40m, with a good swim around the outside. I did have a tow behind Ian's Gavin which had a bung trigger, but gave up after it wanted to head for the surface, so I buried the prop in a nice silt mound and let 'er rip.

Thats is about it for my diving, but the most important announcement for the weekend is Fujak the cat. The Fujak team found a lonely kitten at the church where we were staying, and Rowie volunteered to take it home and look after it for the rest of it's life. Nice gesture, and welcome to the family Fujak Kitty.

JD

Drilling holes is just boring.....
Craig
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 10:23:05 AM »

Yep - another fine Australia Day weekend in the Mount.

Pity we couldn't sit around & listen to the JJJ Hottest 100 like usual but as Oz Day was the Monday we had to settle to listening in the car on the way home.

Saturday's dive 'to the CCR' for Rick & I was, well, eventful if one considers getting somewhat misplaced in the system is eventful. I recall discussion along the lines of
C: "are you sure you know where you're going Rick?"
R: "yep. absolutely. piece of piss. we'll just bang on in via the pen entrance & hammer past the stop sign & we'll be in"
C: "OK I guess you can reel then"

After dropping stages & one camera housing (sans camera) & following a pair of furiously finning jets we got lost & turned around. I did note with interest that GUE disciple Rick didn't retrace his 'steps' backwards finning which I tought was the GUE way.

OK time to try another route. OK how 'bout this way. "Riiiiiick, the stop sign" (apologies to TISM) and then into the pen section to turn on thirds a few minutes later.

Best thing was that at least the camera housing didn't leak on its first splash.

Kilsby's was great on Sunday, nice & sunny with blue shafts of light spearing down through the crystal clear water. Well, that was until JD decided to turn Ian's Gavin into a blender & puree the bottom of the hole! Preliminary results as to my first dive with my D300 are that it rocks & got some reasonable photos. Keep an eye out for a new photo gallery.

Of course everyone lamented Rob running out of stack. We figured he must have dropped some somewhere & offered to 'emu parade' the bottom of the hole but he remained stackless. I couldn't quite work out if one starts with stack, runs out of said stack, how can you then go into negative stack? What - take out a stack loan on deco??

Course the puns abounded following Rob's 'stack attack'. Yep, if it wasn't for Stack Pack a kid would starve...

Monday Ian took pity on Rick & I & offered to chauffer is to the CCR - only to call it on thirds at the entrance. I'm 'diver 3' of our 'dive team' and looking at my spg's thinking "noooooo - but I've still got more gas".

The CCR lives to taunt us further.

Monday turned out OK though as there were a few stops in the Coonawarra along the way home to supplant my wine collection.

Ahh a fun weekend all round.

C

If you're gunna do it right stop crapping on & bloody-well get on with it
Ian T
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 02:17:22 PM »

Also Rowie playing "Spin the lazy Suzan fast enough to spill red wine on the person next to you" was amusing.

And the conversation about the " Sucky Suck " (not what you think Harvs you pervert)

And the Kilsby's Tsunami created when JD took a tumble off the pontoon !

And of course the public ridiculing of the 'she-man' who Dokic SMASHED on Sunday night !
JD
YBOD Pilot
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 02:31:10 PM »

I think the dinner table conversation should remain there. I will try and download the bum deodorant skit and post it on here later on today for everybody to hear.

Sorry about dropping your stage Ian. I tell you I had a firm grip on it until I was pushed off the pontoon, where I 'accidentally' let it go. I hope it survived the plunge.

Craig, I get the impression it was Ian who turned the Pines dive. If you would like a guide who knows the way and cant run out of gas, let me know......

JD

onwardsupwards

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 03:06:57 PM »

I think the funniest part of the weekend occured at Mud Hole. No Names. A particular pair of divers were doing their first dive at Mud Hole. Of course having dived it our brief to them was what a fantastic dive it was Grin but that the entrance was very silty and needed some care on entry.

Diver 1 smashed in on sidemounts and disappeared reasonably quicky. Diver 2 in and proceeded to thrash the water to foam for the next couple of minutes. It looked so funny, we were looking for the dorsal fin as it looked like said diver was being attacked by a shark. I stress that this is not a piss take of the divers involved as we may all look like that from above (especially some) and with my navigation record, well enough said. VERY funny to see.

Also the sight of 3 stage bottles embedded in the bottom of Kilsbys, valves down was immpressive.

Thanks to JD for the loan of his 40cf stage. Next time could I also have the combination for the locks to release the securing attachments for reg etc.

Do It Right or do it somewhere else
JD
YBOD Pilot
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 06:12:23 PM »

Sorry about that Rick. I should have explained bungee to you. Once your Mum gets you past Velcro and Zippers and starts you on buttons you may have a better idea. Bungee is simular to shoelaces....... Nope, sorry that is probably past you also. Give me a shout when you get past slip on shoes.  Grin

JD

Ian T
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 08:38:33 PM »

Thats how we put our stages in at Blairgowrie. Its funny to watch two guys with a trolley of 3 tanks each, walk to the end of the jetty, then throw their tanks over the side then walk off....

The accidental plunge into Kilsby's was very funny.

Yes I called the dive on thirds. I was on the reel, and chewed a bit with a stuck reel heading into Bunyips. No probs getting to CCR. Think i took wrong route up the chimney though. Really bummed as last time i was there with JD he waited at the bottom and I slid up it easily ! JD couldn't get through on a CCR to the CCR.

I think the dinner table conversation should remain there. I will try and download the bum deodorant skit and post it on here later on today for everybody to hear.

Sorry about dropping your stage Ian. I tell you I had a firm grip on it until I was pushed off the pontoon, where I 'accidentally' let it go. I hope it survived the plunge.

Craig, I get the impression it was Ian who turned the Pines dive. If you would like a guide who knows the way and cant run out of gas, let me know......

JD
JD
YBOD Pilot
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 07:55:03 AM »

Not correct Ian. I did not try, so how do you know that I couldnt get through?

At this stage with Bernald I am not 100% comfortable with really tight restrictions. I need to get some more cave time with it, just to ensure I know where everything is. I am also not sure what would happen if the counterlungs were compressed in a tight spot! I am just playing it a bit cautious for the time being until I get completely used to the profile of the unit.

Now, in saying all this, CCR in the CCR is a great idea!

JD

Ian T
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 08:32:32 AM »

that's why you need to make a Sidemount version of Bernald.... I christen it " Schmernald ".

I'm sure GP can offer some suggests on how to set it up...

CCR in the CCR..... I dont think it's been done yet.... nice little record to have.
ph

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 11:17:50 AM »

Yep - another fine Australia Day weekend in the Mount.

Pity we couldn't sit around & listen to the JJJ Hottest 100 like usual but as Oz Day was the Monday we had to settle to listening in the car on the way home.

Saturday's dive 'to the CCR' for Rick & I was, well, eventful if one considers getting somewhat misplaced in the system is eventful. I recall discussion along the lines of
C: "are you sure you know where you're going Rick?"
R: "yep. absolutely. piece of piss. we'll just bang on in via the pen entrance & hammer past the stop sign & we'll be in"
C: "OK I guess you can reel then"

After dropping stages & one camera housing (sans camera) & following a pair of furiously finning jets we got lost & turned around. I did note with interest that GUE disciple Rick didn't retrace his 'steps' backwards finning which I tought was the GUE way.

OK time to try another route. OK how 'bout this way. "Riiiiiick, the stop sign" (apologies to TISM) and then into the pen section to turn on thirds a few minutes later.

Best thing was that at least the camera housing didn't leak on its first splash.

Kilsby's was great on Sunday, nice & sunny with blue shafts of light spearing down through the crystal clear water. Well, that was until JD decided to turn Ian's Gavin into a blender & puree the bottom of the hole! Preliminary results as to my first dive with my D300 are that it rocks & got some reasonable photos. Keep an eye out for a new photo gallery.

Of course everyone lamented Rob running out of stack. We figured he must have dropped some somewhere & offered to 'emu parade' the bottom of the hole but he remained stackless. I couldn't quite work out if one starts with stack, runs out of said stack, how can you then go into negative stack? What - take out a stack loan on deco??

Course the puns abounded following Rob's 'stack attack'. Yep, if it wasn't for Stack Pack a kid would starve...

Monday Ian took pity on Rick & I & offered to chauffer is to the CCR - only to call it on thirds at the entrance. I'm 'diver 3' of our 'dive team' and looking at my spg's thinking "noooooo - but I've still got more gas".

The CCR lives to taunt us further.

Monday turned out OK though as there were a few stops in the Coonawarra along the way home to supplant my wine collection.

Ahh a fun weekend all round.

C

noit sure what the 'stack' reference is but is Rb now diving with a stack hat and head mounted torches?Huh
ph

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 11:20:20 AM »

I think the funniest part of the weekend occured at Mud Hole.

did Karl wake up with his pants round his ankle again !!!!!!!!!!

you gooey guys sure know how to party
ph

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 11:21:25 AM »

Also Rowie playing "Spin the lazy Suzan fast enough to spill red wine on the person next to you" was amusing.

And the conversation about the " Sucky Suck " (not what you think Harvs you pervert)

is that covered in fundies???  is it GUE buddy breathing?Huh?
ph

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 11:22:47 AM »

And the Kilsby's Tsunami created when JD took a tumble off the pontoon !

a bit like when he was hanging by his ankle from the wire ladder half way up bakers cave.....funny story that one!!!!!!!!
ph

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 11:28:28 AM »

[

Diver 1 smashed in on sidemounts and disappeared reasonably quicky. Diver 2 in and proceeded to thrash the water to foam for the next couple of minutes. It looked so funny, we were looking for the dorsal fin as it looked like said diver was being attacked by a shark. I stress that this is not a piss take of the divers involved as we may all look like that from above (especially some) and with my navigation record, well enough said. VERY funny to see.

a bit like my feet first acsent into east whilst trying to decend in front of a full tour....fucken embarressing

yes and MR T was there with the lovely SQ

ph

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 11:32:56 AM »

Sorry about that Rick. I should have explained bungee to you. Once your Mum gets you past Velcro and Zippers and starts you on buttons you may have a better idea. Bungee is simular to shoelaces....... Nope, sorry that is probably past you also. Give me a shout when you get past slip on shoes.  Grin

JD

Tiger the grosby zip up is the GUE shoe of choice
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: